I have a thing with roses…
But it’s not what you think! Funny enough, I can’t stand the classic red rose in a bouquet. Jon knows well enough to alert the florist when requesting an arrangement for me, and even for our wedding, I gave strict orders to avoid all traditional roses. But show me a bush of yellow cabbage roses, or give me a bouquet of the lightest pink English roses and I will forever cherish the thought.
And there’s one thing I absolutely will not waver on: roses in my skincare products. Whether it’s an extract, an oil, or a simple rose petal, a large number of my daily products have some kind of rose essence in them. Rose petals and extracts have been used since ancient times for beauty, and while skincare has come a long way since then (goodbye urine and lead) the use of rose has stayed consistent. That’s because the flower’s anti-inflammatory properties leave your skin hydrated, more even, and with less redness than before.
Given that it’s nearing peak rose season, I’ve decided to dish all my favorite rose products with you. And believe me when I say, you won’t be disappointed!
1. Diptyque Rose Candle – The only want to really immerse yourself in the smell!
2. Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Face Mist – Just a few squirts to set my makeup in the morning and I’m off feeling fresh and smelling delightful.
3. Grown Alchemist Persian Rose Hand Cream – I apply this decadent lotion to my hands immediately after my makeup routine. I love everything from the smell to the packaging, and of course the results! My hands are always hydrated and silky smooth throughout the day.
4. Kiehl’s Supremely Softening Rose Body Wash – A Bloomingdale’s exclusive, I just picked this cleanser up and I cannot wait to try it! Kiehl’s body washes are my favorite, so when I found a rose one to try in lieu of coriander, it was a no-brainer. Also comes with a corresponding body lotion!
5. Lush Dream Steam with Rose Petals – Last week I mentioned wanting to try an herbal face steam, so when I came across this new Lush product, I was intrigued. I’m definitely going to be trying this on my next spa night at home. Clear sinuses here I come!
6. Sephora Rose Eye Mask – My favorite under-eye mask on the market! The rose soothes my dark circles and leaves my skin looking hydrated for the next 48-hours.
7. Lush Rose Jam Bubble Bar – I adore Lush’s natural, pro-animal stance, and their products are some of my favorite for relaxing. If you’ve never used one of their bath bombs or bubble bars, you’re missing out!
8. Poppy Austin Rose Water Toner – I once saw Salma Hayek talk about her skincare routine. At over 50, she looks incredible, so when she shared that one of her favorite products was rose water, I had to give it a try. This pure, organic rose water is absolutely lovely. I’ve also tried this toner from Fresh Cosmetics, but nothing comes close to the plump, smooth finish of my skin the morning after I use rose water. I love that it’s simple, natural skin care.
9. Herbivore Coco Rose Body Polish – Body polishes are one of my favorite pampering steps and this product is simply the crème de la crème. It smells like heaven, feels like a soothing paste, and leaves my skin more hydrated than any lotion ever has. That coconut oil is magic!
10. Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm – I’d know this classic tin anywhere! One of my sister’s favorite balms, I’m looking forward to giving the minted rose flavor a go. And don’t you just love the Victorian typesetting on the label?
If all these products don’t keep you smelling like a rosy May Day bouquet, I don’t know what will!
What’s your favorite beauty ingredient or fragrance? Share your thoughts in the comments below!