I can’t believe we’re at the end of 2017 already! It feels like just yesterday that I was first writing my New Years resolutions on this blog, then immediately trying to figure out just how I was going to get organized and make some of these things happen. I thought it’d be fun, and semi-responsible, if I actually looked back, checked in, summed up, took stock, or whatever you want to call being held responsible for your goals at the end of the year! Here we go:
1. Become a better photographer. I am so happy to say that this resolution can be checked off in a huge way! When I was writing posts in the early part of this year, I was using primarily iPhone photos, despite having a fancy new camera. And when I used my camera, I was ok composing a shot, but I had a very loose grasp of how the thing actually worked and what I was supposed to be doing with the dials (auto settings, anyone?). Now, while I’m still learning, I have a much better idea of how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed are adjusted in different light conditions. After many months of practice, I’ve also learned how to edit my photos in RAW, which basically just means they’re a whole lot better and more detailed.
2. Travel as much as I can. This year has definitely been a great one for travel. We’ve hit the road and skies more than I had ever imagined when I wrote this resolution. From Iceland to New Mexico, France and Maine, I feel so incredibly lucky to have visited the places I have this year, and to be able to share my experiences and stories on She’s So Bright.
3. Lose a little weight. YES! I actually did this one, and if you see my abs in just the right side lighting, they actually exist! At the start of 2017, I was feeling a little down on my fitness, frustrated with a lack of strength, and struggling with what I felt was a workout plateau. But as the year progressed, I grew stronger in Pilates, started making room for yoga in the morning, and worked with a nutritionist. I am so much more optimistic about my health and fitness than I’ve been in a long time.
4. Fight for the things I believe in. I’ve never been to a protest before 2017 and now at the end of the year, I’ve been to 5 or 6. We even have a sign collection to prove it! Between the Women’s March, voicing my concerns to representatives, and writing letters, I’ve been pushing myself to fight harder.
5. Read More. Easy, I did. I think in the last year I read more than the last 5 combined.
6. Capture my time better. I give myself a 6 out of 10 on this one. Definitely my biggest challenge, but every day it gets easier.
7. Do a Hand Stand. I still can’t technically do a hand stand on my own, but I am able to hold myself up against the wall with one foot in the air! It’s not perfect, but it’s closer than I’ve ever been. My challenge has been upper body strength, but I’m ending the year so much stronger in my arms than ever before.
8. Be Patient. Hmmm…I actually think I’m ending the year a little less patient than I started it, but hey, that’s what these reminders are for! I think my patience for my work has increased, while my patience for people has decreased. Perhaps that’s the natural order of things as one gets older…
9. Reach Out. I’ve definitely been more social this year than in previous years, and although I often prefer solitary time, I am much more open to catching up with friends and being available for a last minute dinner.
10. Do things for others. This one has been easy in some ways and hard in others, but I tried my best to be a shoulder for friends, a helper for family, and a loving partner. I definitely did a lot for my cat in 2017!
So, there you have it! An honest, real look at where I held up my New Years resolutions. I think it’s helpful to check in on goals, and reading this list gets me all excited to make new ones in just a few days time!
Did you make any New Years resolutions? Share with me in the comments below!