While you may run the risk of matching your Granny’s drapes, the fall fashion trend I am most excited about this season is the overwhelming number of velvet shoes! I never considered the material a wearable fabric, and it’s definitely impractical if you find yourself in misty situations, but I think we all could do with a little bit of the royal plush on our feet. Velvet has always felt like such a luxurious textile and while I’ve wanted a deep green couch upholstered in the fabric for years, I’m realizing I can get that old, jazzy feel without having a permanent statement piece in my home.
I’m leaning towards the deep burgundies and blues (easier to hide a stain), but I’m surprised how chic the soft pinks are this season. That iridescent shimming makers them almost lickable – candy for your feet, if you will! And it’s obvious you can never have enough ankle booties, right?
Here are some of my favorite velvet shoes on the market right now:
1. Sam Edelman Pumps – I’m weirdly obsessed with these flirty shoes! While I’m not a pom-pom girl I love the thought of pairing them with ripped jeans and a simple top.
2. Zara Velvet Loafers – Grab your smoking jacket and pipe, because we’re headed to the lounge in these loafers. Endlessly chic and a stylish nod to the late Hugh Hefner.
3. Stuart Weitzman Booties – These ankle booties make me want to get down on one knee. They’re simply shaped, but I love the low heel and tapered toe, and the velvet looks as soft as a kitten’s back.
4. Zara Velvet Pumps – There’s nothing basic about these stilettos except the price. Love this blue-gray color too!
5. Sam Edelman Slides – I’ve been seeing a lot of slides this season and I’m absolutely crazy for the square tongue á la Louis XIV. Would definitely dance down the hall of mirrors in this one!
6. Free People Loafers – A good way to dip your toe into this trend – they go with nearly everything and are a steal at $98. Probably why they’re completely sold out on Shopbop already.
7. Sam Edelman Booties – “She wore blue velvet…bluer than velvet were her eyes.” A favorite song of mine from crooner Lana Del Rey and the perfect tune to sing to these babies.
8. Vince Booties – For the more subtle gal, I thought this pair was the most practical way to wear velvet. It could appear to be a suede, or even a leather in the right lighting, and that means it’ll rarely go out of style.
9. Dolce Vita OTK Boots – Too much? I don’t think so! With enough velvet to make a pillow, these wine-stained thigh highs have me wanting to paint the town burgundy.
10. Dolce Vita Booties – There’s no such thing as too much pink, so I couldn’t resist adding another bootie in rose. It’s a totally different pink, anyway!
Don’t you just love them? I’ll take one of each pair please – size nine and a half!
What’s your favorite pair? And are you eyeing anything in velvet this season? Share with me in the comments below! And be sure to take advantage of Shopbop’s great sale: 20% off orders under $500 or 25% off orders $500 or more. Code: EOTS17